[vdr] Re: AW: exact size of frames

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 18:04, Alessio Sangalli wrote:
> Mike Pieper wrote:
> > Beside the overscan area you also should take into account that the TV
> > pixels are not square. The 720x576 is 768x576 in square pixels, i.e. when
> > you put a photo (which normally has square pixels) with 720x576 to the TV
> > screen it will look a little bit streched.
>
> I'll also test 768x756; however I think to remember this resolution was
> not supported by the DVB card.

No, what I mean is that 768x576 on the computer monitor _is_ 720x576 on the
TV, i.e. the TV pixels have not the same height as width.
If you want to show pictures with correct geometry, then you have to scale the
pictures to be near 768x576 by keeping the aspect ratio. Then you have to
squeeze it from 768 to 720. On the TV screen it will be stretched again to
have correct geometry.
The DVB card takes pictures/movies with TV pixels. When you have a VGA card
with TV-out, then you could set the VGA resolution to 768x576 (in square
pixels). The TV-out logic of the graphics card will perform the squeeze
operation automatically.

But ok, when you view 'real life' pictures, perhaps you will not notice the
difference.

Mike

Home | Main Index | Thread Index