[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

Andreas,

>From looking at the code, it would seem that this path does playback
only?  That is, the OSD is not supported.

BTW: I would say that mess is too strong a word.  Certainly vdr was not
designed for this type of thing - that does not necessarily mean the
code is a mess if you try to use it for something else.

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 06:39, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yes, it's not an mistake, this is a PATCH for vdr-1.1.5. Welcome back to
> patching VDR. I tried to find a different way, but the current cDevice,
> cTransfer and cPlayer architecture does not allow any other solution.
>
> This release is mainly indented for developers and still has severe
> limitations, most of which will not go way unless the cDevice mess is clean
> up.
>
> Patch is at: http://warp10.net/dvd/plugin-devel/vdr-1.1.5-dxr3-01.diff.bz2
>
> ffmpeg's libavcodec is need (change the path seeting in Makefile).
>
> fixable problems:
> - Audio/Video might get out of sync
>
> unfixable problems:
> 1. only replay works, transfer mode is to deep embeded into cDevice
> 2. primary DVB device will remain blocked during playback, but will not show
>    anything
> 3. primary DVB device needs to be availabe for replay, cPlayer always needs to
>    be attached to a cDevice, DXR3 can not be a cDevice

So the class cDevice is not not designed for what you want to do.  That
does not mean it is bad, or a mess.

>From my reading it would seem that this is only a first step toward an
abstract device class that can accommodate different types of
input/output devices.

--
Malcolm Caldwell <malcolm.caldwell@ntu.edu.au>
Northern Territory University