[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

Andreas Schultz wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 10:13, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Helmut Auer wrote:
> > > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Why in the world should the various parts of VDR use different keys for,
> > e.g., "menu up" or "menu down"? "Menu up" is "menu up" is "menu up"! If one
> > part uses the "Up" key while another uses, say, the "Yellow" key for this
> > function, this makes absolutely no sense. It only helps in confusing users.
>
> I have to agree to this, however .....
>
> [...]
>
> > VDR is designed to work with a very limited number of remote control keys.
> > Even if a specific RC has a lot more keys, it should still be possible to
> > use VDR with only the originally defined keys. That way if you get to
>
> We should very carefull define what a _minimal_ remote will have. The current
> definition is IMHO a bit confusion.
>
> What i think a _minimal_ remote should have (including possible double
> meanings) is:
>
> Required:
> - number keys 0 - 9

Actually number keys are not _absolutely_ necessary. Except for some enhanced
features like the editing functions one can use VDR a great deal without any
number keys. But since most RCs will have them, they'll most likely be always
available.

> - Play / Ok / Enter
>     - Play in live TV mode could go directly to a selection of playable media
> - Stop / Cancel
>     - Stop in live TV mode should Eject CD/DVD or bring up a Menu
>       to select which medium should be ejected)

In early versions of the DVD patch I did like the "Eject" button, but then
again, does it really make that much sense? I mean, after all every drive
has a physical "Eject" button (or are thre players that don't have such a button?).
And when you eject the disk, you most likeley will go to the drive, anyway,
to remove or exchange the disk. So I'd say there's no need for this.

> - Record (instant record, replace Menu/Red)

Definitely not a "minimal required key", since there _is_ "Menu/Red".
I will make it possible to configure the finction of the color keys
in normal viewing mode, so you will be able to assign "Instant recording"
to the "Red" button.

> - fast forward / cursor right
> - fast rewind  / cursor left
> - channel Up   / cursor up
> - channel Down / cursor down

Agreed, "Up/Down/Left/Right" are required.

> Optional (but highly recommended):
> - Skip forward
> - Skip backward
> - Jump
>
> Optinal:
> - color keys

I'd say the color keys _are_ required, since there are most likely a lot more
RCs out there with these four colored keys than there are with "Play/Pause/...".
Besides, the colored keys can be used a lot more versatile in the OSD menus by
simply writing their functions into the bottom line of the menu.

I believe the standard VDR remote control should have these keys:

- Up, Down, Left, Right, Ok
- Menu, Back
- Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
- 0...9

Optional:

- Volume+/-, Mute
- Power

Actually these are the keys that are currently defined in VDR.
We can well define a few more, like

- Play, Pause, Forward, Rewind, Stop
- Skip forward/back
- etc...

but their functions should always be also performed by one of the
standard buttons.

Klaus