[vdr] DVD and MPEG Audio

Recently I bought one of those DVD-RW drives, the Pioneer 104.
My main working machine is a Windows PC, and it houses the Pioneer, so I
have access to DVD authoring software.
Now, none of my home-made DVDs are working with the current AIO patch (which
is sad because I wanted to make DVDs from VDR recordings).
As soon as the DVD is accessed, vdr exits and runvdr restarts.
I was using ULead's DVD Workshop for authoring, and my el-crappo Yamakawa
eats'em without complaints.
Basically all authoring tools below 1000 US Dollars have no capability of
authoring AC3 tracks. So, if you want to save some disk space, you have to
use mpeg audio, as PCM is totally uncompressed. I suspect this to be the
problem.
According to DVD specifications there must be at least one PCM or AC3 track,
but most stand-alone players don't complain if you present them only mpeg
audio.
Over the weekend I had access to the Scenarist software and I tried again,
this time converting audio to AC3. Bingo, the DVD works perfectly with vdr!
But who has 16.900,-- Dollars to spend for a piece of badly designed
software?
So, am I right? And can it be fixed easily?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index