[vdr] DVD Authoring and AC3 (was: AW: DVD and MPEG Audio)

Sorry for OT, but I feel the whole DVD authoring stuff might at some point
become interesting to all of us....

Lars Bläser wrote:

> NO, i.e. SpruceUp handles AC3 audio, just name your ac3 file in the same
was as your mpv file and inmort it (test.mpv and test.ac3)

Problem is, SpruceUp is no longer available :-(
It is discontinued and there is no way to legally register it.
One might guess why :-(

> there are programms that convert ac3 to mpeg-audio, it should be possible
to convert a stereo-mpeg-audio to ac3 2.0

I know of the following DVD authoring tools (all Windows):
SpruceUp		- discontinued :-(. Allows ac3 audio as input and properly
generates VOB files.
DVD Workshop	- No way. Only PCM and MP2, no AC3 input (250 Dollars)
DVDIt! SE 		- costs 260 Dollars and offers no AC3 support at all.
DVDIt! PE		- Works with AC3 2.0 (encoding possible?), costs 600 Dollars.
ReelDVD		- Supports AC3 2.0 including encoding, costs too much (1000
Dollars)
Scenarist		- What the studios use. Supports DTS, AC35.1 (incl encoding).
Costs way too much (17000$).

If you find any cheaper solution for ac3 authoring, please tell me! I still
hope for a decent Linux solution to appear one day.
Unfortunately I don't have the skills nor the time to start something like
this myself.

Actually, when I think about it, my problem might probably be due to some
non-standard menu structure or something "esoteric" the ULead Software does
differently....after all it is not very surprising that a DVD produced with
Scenarist works....

Anyway, I sent one of those DVDs to Andreas, and he'll find out....
Still it's a nice thing when VDR becomes tolerant against non-standard
issues with somewhat misguided authoring softwares....

Yours
Stephan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index