[vdr] Status of -a switch now?

Hello,

a lots were written about the -a option...
I should receive my 5.1 system with amplificator, I have a motherboard
with integrated SPDIF... I know about
http://bashy.bei.t-online.de/scart.html to connect directly to the DVB-s
(I have a rev 1.3 from Hauppauge) but if I do that way, how will that
works with DVD, and with TV station that don't have 5.1?
And with other apps, could I use the DVB as a DSP or something similar?

The best for me would be to "follow" the sound to the MB (I don't have a
SPDIF input on my MB) and connect the 5.1 to it directly ;-)

Thank you very much and sorry for asking,

	Grégoire