[vdr] Re: How to connect the SPDIF of the DVB-s rev 1.3 to a standard SPDIF?

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:40:44 +0100, "Reinhard Walter Buchner"
<rw.buchner@freenet.de> wrote:

> I am using a TOTX 174, which is slightly better
> than the now available TOTX 179 (174 are
> discontinued units)

I used the TOTX173 which works perfect.

I used the description at
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

Optical TOSLINK output

                        ________________
                      4|             ___|
 TTL signal -----------|            /
                       |           |
                      3|           |
 +5V--4R7--+-----------|           |
           |          2|   TOTX173 |
           +---8k2-----|           |
           |           |           |
          === 100 nF   |           |
           |          1|            \___
           +-----------|________________|

          ---

The 4.7 ohm resistor and 100 nF capacitor make a filter against digital
noise in +5V power source. The Toslink transmitting module used in this
circuit is TOTX173 from Toshiba. This circuit is a part of circuit
diagram from Elektor Electronics magazine issue 4/1997 page 65.

TORX173 and TOTX173 module pinouts

Toshiba optical receiver & transmitter modules used for S/P-DIF TORX173,
TOTX173 top view:

    opto
   +----+
  6.    .5
   +....+
    1234

Pin  TORX173     TOTX173
1    out         GND
2    GND         R
3    Vcc         Vcc
4    GND         in
5    case(GND)   case(GND)
6    case(GND)   case(GND)

Vcc  +5V (use 0.1 uF decoupling to GND)
         (use 47 uH choke to connect Pin 3 to Vcc for TORX)
R    8.2 kOhm to Vcc

TORX and TOTX are both high active and are CMOS/TLL logic compatible.

Enjoy,

Emil