[vdr] Re: VDR box based on EPIA-M board and Cubid case

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:04:30PM +0100, Marcel Pommer wrote:
> imho, getting the mpeg decoder in the cle266 to work should be the primary
> goal for this project (i'm planning on a m9000 w/dvb for digitv/dvd/divx/mp3
> etc playback). afaik via supports this hardware with its linux drivers
> (there's even an Xv library in the driver package), but no known player can
> use it. but, modifying a player (xine/mplayer) should be the smallest
> problem.
Try it ;-) Honestly: there are no specs how to use the mpeg2-Dekoder.
There's a library but no documentation who to use it...
We have to wait until via releases the sources (and hopefully some
programming specs), this should happen in the next 3 weeks.
Another problem is, that mplayer and xine seperate mpeg2-decoding and
video-output while with the epia-m it seems these two are strongly
connected. So it might be more difficult... ( I thought in the beginning,
that it would be easy too...)

> correct me if i'm wrong, but would it not be the best thing to use a cheap dvb
> card without an mpeg decoder, so the cle266 can do the decoding for both the
> dvb stream and the dvd? dvd playback would not be a challenge for the
> processor, just divx could drive the board to its limits, and only if divx
> becomes more cpu-expensive in the future.
That's what I want to do, but at first, get a normal x11-output-plugin
working and wait for the sources from via.

> what i don't know is: can you take a dvb card with an mpeg decoder, have it
> decode a stream that comes from a dvd drive and send it to its own
> svideo-out, so an epia 800 would be sufficient?
Using a full-featured dvb-card with mpeg2-decoder and tv-out already
works.

Bye,
Matthias
--