[vdr] Re: nvram-wakeup: service start up hangs

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Lauri Pesonen (LP) wrote:

LP> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 07:32:57PM +0100, Birgit Böttger wrote:
LP> >
LP> > I don't use automatic wake up, because of that problem.
LP> > My A7V133 wakes up on time, but linux hangs accessing the clock.
LP> > Maybe a BIOS problem?
LP> >
LP>
LP> I have the exact same board, so  guess it is related to the board / BIOS.
LP> Huh, would've liked to get it working. Need to check the docs how to get
LP> support for a new board.

hmm,  end  of  January I received another report on the same problem (with
A7A266-E).

well,  as Birgit said, it seems that the machine hangs while accessing the
clock for the first time. (hwclock --hctosys or similar)

I  can't imagine, what should be the problem -- nvram-wakeup doesn't touch
the time registers...

do  nvram-wakeup  or  hwclock  report  anything  unusual?  did  you try to
interrupt hwclock by just pressing Ctrl-C?

to find the problem, I could think of two things:

did you try to
  1. set wakeup time with nvram-wakeup
  2. reboot instead of shutdown
  3. after BIOS messages, before booting linux turn off the machine
  4. wait for wakeup. does it help?

second  thing I could think of is that hwclock is able to access the clock
in  two  different  ways:  directisa  and  rtc  device,  the latter one by
default:  does  it  help  to force hwclock to use the directisa method? (I
know, it shouldn't make any difference, but who knows?)

c ya
        Sergei
--
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de               /\\