[vdr] New kernels, performance etc...

After a real battle (junk pre-built hardware) I finally got lircd going this evening !

So I have just one major problem left - performance !

I'm using an old PC (PII 333MHz) and when playing dvds, well I say playing,
but stuttering would be more accurate !

So I thought that if I could switch to a 2.5 kernel maybe I could get away without
junking the whole box and starting again. This would be great if Rules.make hadn't been
removed from the kernel source tree and just about every part of VDR seems to need it to be there.

So the questions:

- is a PII 333MHz fast enough to play DVDs, if not what is the slowest I can get away with ?
- has anybody used 2.5.X and seen an improvement in performance (elevator=cfq ?) that
  would prolong the life of my old PC
- anybody using an Audigy card for sound output (including surround decoding) ?

FYI VDR 1.1.25, dvd 0.3.1, RH 8 with 2.4.20, DVB-T & Nova-T