[vdr] Re: New kernels, performance etc...

Robert Schneider wrote:

vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org wrote on 06.03.2003 00:55:22:

So the questions:

- is a PII 333MHz fast enough to play DVDs, if not what is the slowest I can get away with ?

I was using a PII 400 for years watching DVDs and had no problems at all with regards to performance. However, I sometimes also had that stuttering, funnily, I could make it go away by re-starting the playing or reloading driver and vdr.

But if the stuttering did not appear, performance was just fine (and I mean there is not much difference between 333 and 400 Mhz).

If you a DVB or DXR Card with a hardware DVD Recorder your Problem is defently the DVD-Rom or the IDE Controller.
If you are Watching DVDs through your Graphicscard, you should take a look at your Kernel configuration and enable MTRR Registers (buildin or modul). I forgot this and my XFree took 50% Processortime, afterwards 5%.