[vdr] Re: Newbie: Shopping list

At 22:27 10/03/2003, you wrote:
Hi
I am not a techie, but after a month on this list
I decided to take a plunge.
Are these things below OK? (technically and priceweise)

1° AMD 1400+, 350w Netzteil, 128 MB SDRAM, K7SOM        120,-
                (eBay, allready got it)
2° DeskStar120GXP,7200rpm,UDMA/100,2MB,120GB            135,-
                (www.mindfactory.de)
3° WinDVB-S 1.6,Remotecontrol,TV-Cable                  201,-
                (www.usa-x.org)
   (I wanted Siemens card, but its not there,
                does it matter?)
4° Gibertini Antenne 100cm,ALU,Masthalterung            66,-

5° Quattro-Switch LNBGolden Interstar 0.3 dB            77,-
   (both from http://www.hm-sat.de/ plus 5,-pp)
                                                                        _____
                                                                        604,-
- Sounds good to me. Obviously something like a 500 Mhz system would do nicely as well: Still enough power to transcode the odd recording, less power consumption, noise etc. But if you're up for "wasting" a 1400+ on a video solution (I'm guessing you're not indending to use this as your desktop system at the same time) then that's your decision I guess. Well ok and I forgot, that spec will probably allow you to play realtime transcoded divx -> mpeg2 through the DVB card, maybe that's what you were looking for.

- Harddisks: I don't trust IBM an inch anymore when it comes to HDDs, but ok supposedly they've improved quality with the newest drives -- we shall see -- in about half a year, when it gets to critical stage again :). 7200 rpm again is overkill in my view, in terms of speed and noise but it's certainly a good price [and to be honest I haven't seen 120 GB drives at 5400 either heh]. I'd personally opt for Seagate or Maxtor, but then that's just me.

- WinDVB-S 1.6: Haven't heard anything bad about this one. Runs cooler than the 1.3 I've read. It doesn't matter that it's not Siemens -- people just like to support them by buying their cards if they can for helping the open source cause.

In meantime trying to teach myself Linux...
RH8.0 - what packages do I need to install?
Base / Medium install will do.

If I need compiling my own kernel (my heart
sinks while I am typing this) - is there
step-by-step instruction somewhere?
Yea. Google is your friend: HOWTO Kernel compile
I personally prefer Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org (has very good docu) or Debian http://www.debian.org -- but I do admit both of these aren't "newbie distros". The learning curve is steep though -- and there's nothign better than that :).