[vdr] Re: Small client for SVDRP

Hi Lauri,

At the moment i execute via the acpid a poweroff comand if a user presses
the power button in the computer case. But this would interrupt vdr, even if
it is recording at the moment. Instead i want to send vdr a "hitk power", so
that vdr initiate the shutdown (or not).

But i haven't perl on the small bootdisk/image, so i can't use the perl
script that comes with vdr. Is there a small standalone solution available
(a small c program), that can send some commands to vdr? Perhaps defined by
a small config file ...

If you have devfs enabled, you can say:

echo "hitk power" > /dev/tcp/localhost/2001

The only problem is that VDR takes a while to wake up after the connection has been established before it accepts SVDRP commands. Thus the above line will not work. You would have to sleep for a couple of seconds before sending the command. I haven't figured out haw to do this yet.

Another solution might be to use NetCat (the binary is called nc). I don't know how big the nc binary is (can't check right now). But again the same sleeping problem is present.

I'm sure there is a really simple solution for the waiting problem, it just hasn't occurred to me so far...

Thx for the great tip. I've tested it with nc (netcat) It work's without any problems.
It's a nice solution for control vdr from other scripts.
Btw: nc is about 470kB big.

Have a nice day
Dieter

All help welcome...