[vdr] Re: Power consumption of Hauppauge cards

Btw,

I've tested this with an external Watt meter.
It's true that this is not the absolute correct way to measure this
rating but
it gives a overall impression which IS correct.

The PSU that I use comes from RSG electronic, the MPI-810H and this unit
should do the trick
up to 80W without active air cooling. It's mounted against a huge
heatsink (120x40x300mm-HxWxD)
The PSU offers max 120W.

Indeed:
Note on the numbers given in my previous post:

Do remember that any PSU has a certain effeciency, in this case 70%
which has mainly to do with the
internal design.

But: is this not the only thing that counts? meaning, towards the anual
electricity costs?

Indeed, this will not give an idea on the individual power rates on each
voltage line but
that could be checked with a cable clamp amp meter (not cheap so prolly
only for those who have one)
and measure the 3.3V, 5V, 5VSB, 12V lines between PSU and ATC connector
on mainboard.

But why all this trouble?
A minimal system of just a mainboard, DVD drive, harddisk and sat card
will not be a problem at all.
The problem starts when using more DVB cards in combination with
multiple harddisks and extra DVD-RW
drive. Also, avoid hungry processors, so sure no P4 heh.

Have a network? Why not a diskless system, boot the multimedia computer
from the network
(the mainboard has to support it - the via epia m9000 does) and transfer
everything over the network
to another computer that does the recording. Pay in that case more
attention on the network type.
eg... firewire, Gigabit LAN for example.

Fan's need power, build a fanless machine. Need extra cooling, transport
the heat with a heatpipe
towards a bigger heatsink if you can't install a bigger passive heatsink
on the CPU.
A big mistake in many cases: Drill many air holes in top of the chassis
at the hottest places,so
also above the sat tuner of the DVBs card. You will be surprised of the
result.
The case : Most cases are not optimized for correct heat transfer. Hot
air rises so give it the
space to do so. It also means that cooler air is drawn from the bottom,
give it space.

I did not find ANY commercial case that does it so am building one.

I do have one question : there's a tool for windoz called CDbremse to
slow down the CD-rom/DVD.
A DVD should not spin to a 16x speed to play a DVD.
Is there such tool available for Linux? I searched but still did not
find any.

Stefaan.