[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] bt8xx based card & dvb-kernel

Demeter Tibor wrote:
Hello Florian !

I have a pinnacle pctv sat bt878 based dvb card and i try to use on linux with the "dvb-kernel" drivers.
I'm successfuly patched and compiled my 2.4.20 kernel, but i don't konw how to use this card with VDR ?
Because on this card not avalible a hw mpeg decoder chip, i need a software mpeg decoder (mplayer?) for watching the tv.

it's possible?
no, VDR expects expects at least one av7110 card in your PC to get it's user interface rendered. Well, there is a way to use VDR without user interface, but I that's probably not what you expect.

I've seen a port of an old VDR version to DirectFB a while ago on the web (http://df-gp.sourceforge.net/) and some people announced a DirectFB OSD plugin, but I don't know the current state of either project.

When any of these projects will get usable you'll be able to use VDR with any card.

Holger