[vdr] Re: AW: Re: EPG scan cause high load and AC3 drop outs

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 10:32:26AM +0100, Christian Jacobsen wrote:
> First of alle thanks for fixing the EPG high-load error :)
>
> But unfortunatly that is not the only problem. When I set EPG to 0 with
> 1.1.25 I still have "timeouts" with the bitstreamout plugin.
>
> The easiest way I have found to reproduce sound-droputs is to Delete a
> recording. (I don't know how big they have to be - when I did that it was
> with recordings of 1:30 Hour or bigger.)
> And then switch to Pro7 - after a while the files are really deleted and
> that causes the sound to drop for short moment.
> When watching Pro7 I have sound-dropouts every 4-20 min. The same happens
> when replaying AC3 recordings. Yesterday watching a recording I had the
> first dropout after 23 min, the next 7 min. later and so on.
> What I don't understand is why there is no errors in the syslog or from VDR
> !?

Hmmm ... I'd like to suppose to set the IRQ's of the PCI slots for the
DVB cards manually in the CMOS setup.  Before doing this, print out
or write to paper the data found with

      cat /proc/interrupts

try to use IRQ lines which will not shared by any other hardware.
Note that you've to check this after reboot with the new values due
some `intelligent'  Plug&Play^H^H^Hrpay BIOS around there.

Next is: you should use mask IRQ and other speed ups for accessing
IDE drives, e.g.

        hdparm -c 1 -d 1 -A 1 -m 16 -X 66 -u 1 /dev/hda

(newer hdparm accept `-X udma2').

But note: the IDE chip set should be switched to use UltraDMA2
mode (See boot log on boot up -> /var/log/boot.msg).  And be aware
IRQ unmasking (-u 1) and  multiple sector I/O (-m 1) are not supported
by all IDE chip sets thereout (e.g. CMD-640B, RZ1000), therefore a ro
mounted file system for tests would be sufficient.

More informations are found with

        cat /proc/ide/<chip>

with e.g. <chip>=via  and

        /proc/ide/hda/settings

> Extept two errors that I had yesterday - see below !

[...]

> Here are Two errors I have found in my syslog yesterday :
>
> kernel CommandRequest timeout waiting for COMMAND to complete
> kernel StopHWFilter error

Maybe superiors IRQ's one a shared IRQ line ... OR bug in
DVB driver (as I've never seen that this may a bug within the
Nova part of the av711x driver).

         Werner