[vdr] splitted vdr system

I plan to build a splitted VDR configuration. The computer named L in my living room should be a noiseless and fanless system with only one full featured DVB-S card. VDR is running via remote boot in this diskless station. Computer S is located somewhere else and is a big machine with plenty of disk space. Machine S is equipped with 2 low-budget DVB-S card to do the recordings that are scheduled by machine L (in the living room). The video directoy is located on machine S and is shared via NFS to machine L. Machine L in the living room should never do a recording only machine S should do recordings. But I want to edit timers with machine L as usual. So it should look like an original VDR system to add and create timers. But actually computer L should never do a recording. I looked in the vdr sources but found no obious way to do that. I don't want to patch VDR in a massive way. If it is possible I prefer to not patch VDR at all. Related to this I have several question:

1) Has anyone built such a system before and is willing to share his/her knowlegde?

2) I didn't find an option to disable recordings on a VDR instance. Is there one?

3) Is it possible to only share the timers.conf file? I didn't find an option to specify the location of the file to VDR. But I think is this a small patch only. Is VDR able to rescan a timers.conf if some external programm changed its contents? I assume so but I'm not sure.

4) If 2) + 3) are not possible I tought about patching the VDR on machine L to not use the timers.conf directly but instead use the SVDRP to query/create timers via the network directly on machine S.

---
Claas Hilbrecht
http://www.jucs-kramkiste.de