[vdr] Re: how to connect DXR3 to TV?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:09:16 +0100
"Thilo Wunderlich" <vdr@speedway.org> wrote:

> I bought a DXR3 card from Ebay for my vdr, unfortunately without
> cables.
>
> What is the best way to connect it to a tv?
> My guesses
> Best: card svideo out - svideo in tv
> Better: svideo out - adapter cable [1] - scart tv
> Good: svideo out - adapter cable 7pins to cinch - cinch to scart - tv
>
> [1] found this one http://www.svideo.com/svideoscart.html
>
> Is this correct? What are you using?

This is the pinout of your dxr3 7 pin output

   _________
  /         \
 |  7  6  5  |
 | 4 3   2 1 |
 |           |
  \  OOOOO  /
   ---------

 1:Y GND
 2:Composite
 3:C GND
 4:GND
 5:Luma (Y)
 6:not connected
 7:Chroma (C)

If your tv has an svideo in then Best=Better and you can use either a standard  4 pin svhs cable or a svhs to scart cable (25 bucks is a lot though)
If your tv set only accepts composite (either through a rca connector or a scart connector) then either you find an adapter or you make yourself one:

Components needed for the adapter:
1 svhs cable
1 coax cable with rca plug
1 rca to scart adapter (if you want to connect the output of the dxr3 to a scart input)

Y-ground------------------+
                          +---------- RCA/composite ground

                          +--------- RCA/composite video
            470pF

simply cut the two cables and connect as shown (works also without the capacitor, but you lose some quality), depending on the quality of the signal you can use solder, tape, twisted cables, whatever (I have one working with twisted cables, but I only use it connected to a 14" color monitor I use for testing).

(better description of how and why it works at : http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html)

Cheers

Mattia