[vdr] Re: Cooling HDs in a VDR system - HD sleep modes

Bernd Felsche (bernie@innovative.iinet.net.au):

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:53:43AM +0100, Jörg Knitter wrote:
>
> > Additionally, the Barracuda is only 'active' for a maximum time of 4
> > hours for recording or playback, but as I also use (like most of you) a
> > desktop case, there is not really much free room for air.
>
> > Do you have any experiences on this?
> > (How) do you cool your hard disks?
>
> I built a small analogue circuit based on a 555 timer and NTC
> thermistor to provide a temperature-dependent duty cycle. When
> "idle", the fan gets about 6 or 7 volts average and is very quiet.
> When the thermistor reaches about 50 degrees, it's going full-blast.

If you select the components carefully, there's no need for active
cooling.

My silent VDR box is built in an ex-a/v-equipment case which has
quite a lot of ventilation holes on the top. The only component
having moving parts is the 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda V HD. The
HD is mounted in a Molex SilentDrive enclosure.

Inside the SilentDrive, there's a thermal sensor attached to the
drive. When running idle, the HD temperature is 37C (running in
free air the idle temperature was about 30C, if I remember correctly).
After a couple of hours of heavy use (simultaneous recording of 2
channels and replay of one of them), the temperature rises to 42C,
but remains stable.

I'm aware that heat isn't making any good to the drive, but I can
live with that. The specs*) promise an operating temperature range
of 0-60C.

*) http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracudaata5_1554003_2003_02.pdf

//jani

--
jani.lahti@iki.fi  --  http://www.iki.fi/jani.lahti/  -- 050 345 0030
       Todelliset kunniamerkit näkyvät vain saunassa. -- T.Rautavaara