[vdr] Re: vdr cuts recordings with ugly artifacts at cutting-points

Stefan Huelswitt wrote:
> Man, this is getting far to complicated for me (not only in ways
> of programming). And I think this doesn't leads in the right
> direction.

Let's keep things as simple as possible.

> Let's go one step back and see what we have.
>
> With cutter2 patch (only setting broken link flag) we have a
> perfect video stream (no artifacts). This has confirmed by
> Werner, Oliver & Tobias.
>
> I agree with Oliver that the cutter2 patch gives better results
> than cutter2-exp. With the last, the cutting point looks somewhat
> jumpy (difficult to explain).

c/looks/sounds
Probably due to missing (deleted) audio packets.

> So for me, the cutter2 patch is the way to got. Unfortunaly in
> some cases a short audio sequence from before the cutIn leaks
> over. But why?

Hmm, did not notice this. Are you sure that this is not the fade-out of
the audio track of the commercial?

> [modified cutter2-exp patch]

Using my test recording I compared with cutter2 and found no difference
at all. Maybe I don't have a test case for the problem you tried to
fix. I'll do lots of cuts the next few days and I'll try both versions.

For now I vote for cutter2 because it does not remove anything from the
input file. Later a more sophisticated tool could use all data
available to produce a perfect result (if someone really needs this).

There is another problem with audio cutting which will prevent us from
getting a clean audio cut: If you join two audio recordings without
further processing, you will always notice something like a click or
chirp. This happens because the audio amplitude at the cutting point is
not zero. We have to modify the audio packets before and after the cut
to fix this. I think this is beyond the scope of this patch.

Oliver