[vdr] Re: SPDIF out

On Friday 25 April 2003 17:33, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was actually thinking of going down a libmpeg2 and DirectFB route, but if
> anyone has any major objections just let me know as I'm still just getting
> my head around everything.

Hmm, I'm thinking here from the point of view of Epia boards (and many others)
with onboard TV-Out... there's certainly no DirectFB driver for those (unless
some generic VESA support exists?) and the accelerated X11 /TV Out driver is
binary-only - not ideal, but more workable.

DirectFB seems to be harder to get working, since you need to tinker in the
kernel, and pass kernel parameters at boot time, etc.

I'm sure this will prompt a torrent of 'can't get directfb working!' e-mails
in your inbox... Certainly the last time I played with DirectFB (and I have
the highly-supported Matrox G200) I ended up with all sorts of machine
lockups and screen corruption before I got it right, and I'm no newbie :)

SDL relies on X, and I don't really like X... but at least it would leave the
door open for running fullscreen with whatever Xv driver is available, or
just "leaving the TV on" in the background...  doing for budget cards what
Kvdr does for the full-featured ones... That would truly be wonderful :)

It would certainly be great to be able to build a VDR box using a single
budget card and make use of TV output :)

Of course, it's your baby, but I'm just trying to make the usefulness of any
plugin as widespread as possible :)

gdh