[vdr] Re: Shutdown frontend for saving power and heat

Am Son, 2003-05-11 um 17.54 schrieb Christian Vogt:
> [...]

I didn't measure but tested power-management functions of DVB-driver
(2003-04-27 from VDR-ftp).

First, power-management is disabled by default as timeout ist set to "0"
in the make-script (for insmodding). I've set the value to "5" for
testing. When VDR was running all worked as exspected.

About five seconds after stopping VDR the picture froze to a nice
still-picture, which proofs the tuner-frontend has been powered down
(with power-management disabled the live-video was still running).

I don't know how the hardware allows power-down, but if the
DC/DC-converter is switched off powering off the complete frontend and
LNB this could save about 10 Watt per card (about 18 KW/month in my
case).

Could you measure that with a current DVB-Head driver and
power-management enabled? Please shutdown VDR completely while driver is
running to see how power-management decreases consumption.

Rene

P.S.: How did you measure consumption? With a measurement-set for AC
displaying Watts or did you calculate from measured AC-Voltage and
-current?