[vdr] Re: black screens...any hint?

Gregor Lawatscheck wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone managed to run current drivers with a 0.9.4
> firmware and DVB-s. I though maybe switching off timeshifting and
> stuff could make it work but I guess that firmware is just too
> outdated.

What's the problem?
- replace Root
- replace Dpram
- make clean
- make

If you try transfer mode with one card the firmware will crash.
So you should disable
  #define DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE 1
  #define DO_MULTIPLE_RECORDINGS 1
in dvbdevice.

IMHO the old firmware is far more unstable than the recent one.

> > > Hold out guys, I hope we're seeing a new firmware with a bigger
> > > vid mem soon to fix these kind of problems.

I don't think that all these 'black screen problems' are caused by the
video memory limit. Transfer/replay mode and view mode are different
functions.

> >But that will mean that the OSD will have to be considerably
> > smaller!
>
> I'm quite happy with the OSD in vdr 1.1.13 and  0.9.4 firmware. In
> fact I'm quite happy with that combination if the drivers didn't
> crash on swichting between live view DVB-s / transfermode and
> recording DVB-s.
>
> If I understand correctly all a smallelr OSD size would mean is some
> glitches when bringing up the OSD - that I can live with. ARM crashes
> every other hour on the other hand I can't really.

No, if the OSD memory is too small for a window, it will not be
displayed at all.

Oliver