[vdr] Re: 1.1.33 and black screen

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

<cut>

>> The OSD and everything
>> else worked fine, there was just no image and no channel shifting could
>> bring the image back. VDR had written nothing to syslog over the night,
>> except for the normal warning about channels that have EPG data that
>> doesn't conform to the specifications.
>>
>> So something seems to still go wrong, this same thing has happened for a
>> number of versions, since somewhere late in the 1.1.20 series. Before it
>> usually filled the log with "Switching to channel X" messages, but these
>> messages are gone now. The early 1.1.20 versions that I first used never
>> had this same problem, they could crash for other reasons, but never left
>> me with a black screen. Somehow I suspect the DVB drivers, and not VDR
>> itself, as VDR seems to work and has reported no problems nor warnings.
>
>I'd also suspect driver problems.
>Can you please try disabling the EPG scan for a test?
>Just set "Setup/EPG/EPG scan timeout" to 0.

Klaus,

I ran one day without disabling the EPG scan, and next morning the image
was black again. After that I disabled the scan and now we've had no
problems at all for a few days. Some recordings, some playbacks, some live
TV, no problems. I'll try the same with never drivers as soon as I have a
valid reason to restart VDR.

May I ask what the "EPG scan timeout" does, and what does the 0 mean?

--
      Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs.
                          -- Susan Sto Helit, in Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)