[vdr] Re: lirc_serial modul doesn't work with the VdrNFSroot mini distribution

On Friday 04 July 2003 17:18, you wrote:
> At Freitag, 4. Juli 2003 16:12 Thomas Glomann wrote:
> > The IR receiver ("homebrew serial ...") doesn't generate any output with
> > mode2.
> > I doubt that the lirc_serial module is even loaded properly because i get
> > the following kernel message :
> >    lirc_serial: auto detectetd active high receiver
> > however, it should detect a    low   receiver. That is what is says when
> > i use the IR receiver on my other computers. there it works just fine. If
> > I load the the lirc_serial module without havin connected the actual
> > hardware it also detects a high receiver.
> >
> > So I think it must be somehow related to the VdrNfsRoot distri. There
> > were no /dev entries for serial ports like /dev/ttyS0.  I created ttyS0
> > with mknod ttyS0 c 4 64
>
> You don't need a serial device node for LIRC, because the module accesses
> the serial port directly. However, if you have serial support compiled into
> the kernel, you have to disable that by saying
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

Well, I tried with and without setserial. But it isnt really neccessary to do
that. on my other machines it works without very well.

> before loading the lirc_serial module (and for that you need the device
> node of course). If that still doesn't work, it doesn't seem to be a
> software problem. If you say the same receiver works elsewhere,
> double-check that your serial port is activated in the BIOS.

Yes my serial ports are activated and they are recognized by the linux kernel.
But I don't think it's a hardware issue because yesterday night when i first
tried to load the lirc module on the client it seemed to work. It definately
said the magic    low    receiver. but then VDR complained about not being
able to connect to /dev/lircd.  I don't know what I did then, just played
around and tried things out until I got to bed.  And today, it is rather the
other way round. VDR shows me the "Learn Keys screen" but my IR doesnt
receive anything.
 arghhh.

Moreover, things get even worse. Now the DVB modules won't even load. i better
take some time off. .......

> Could be a power issue as well, I've had the experience that powering the
> circuit with the voltage-regulator didn't work at my Mini-ITX board,
> because it's serial voltage is far too low. Instead I've removed the
> voltage regulator and connected the circuit to +5V directly. Works fine
> now.

It is a regualr socket7 mainboard which used to work quite normal for years. I
downgraded the fans to 7 Volt to make it silent. But that shouldn't affect
the other voltages on the mainbaord , does it?

> Ah, by the way, next time you create a new thread, please don't use the
> "Reply" button on another Mail. Doesn't look good inside a tree-view
> mailclient.

Thanks for the tip. I always wonder why some threads start inside other
threads. now I know ;)

> Greetings,
> Sascha

Still looking for some working root file systems (for latest VDR 1.2.1 of
course)

Thomas