[vdr] Re: Recomendations for DVB card

Hi Frank,

we had some conversation a while ago and I hope that your will not mind
if I will ask some more questions.

Now I would ask you question and hope that you can answers it. First of all
did you hear anything about "VisionPlus VP-DTV 1030 PCI SATELLITE CARD"?
Some description is available at next url

http://www.dvbcanada.com/usa/visionplus1030.html

It looks like it works under linux and should accept CI modules. But it is
not completely clear "Is it has MPEG2 decoder or not?". Did you heard
anything about this card?

Now about satellites used here (North America) for reception. Check next
urls

http://www.dvbcanada.com/usa/fta_by_language.html

(it seems like 3 Russian channels available what is good for us here in
North America)

http://www.lyngsat.com/t5.shtml

(well lyngsat is most informative site around but I am very new to
understand everything on this page -- well your help in understanding all
this info would be greatly appreciated)

Well at the end of this month we move to our new home (well still have to
pay off morgage for many years) and I will be able start build VDR.

Previously some person from this mailing list share some ideas about his
choice of sat-tv-tuner card. As I understood WinTV DVB-S 1.3 has
overheating problems. And this guy said that his choice fall on WinTV
DVB-S 1.6. By some reason he rejected WinTV Nova.

At the moment I found two companies who have DVB-S cards for reasonable
price

http://www.dvbshop.tv/
http://www.dvbcanada.com/

Could you check and say your opinion about these companies
(products/service according their information).

Now my other question "How do you watch Sat TV? Computer monitor? TV
Set?". I found that some cards do not have output connectors at all. I
guess that in this case a card like DXR3 should be used or something
similar. I know  that most channels from satellite comes in resolution
544x??? and I believe DXR3 will handle it just fine. But what about HDTV
channels? I heard that a few streams comes down in HDTV (here comes some
confusion as they have 1080i, 720p, 480p) format but which one of three
formats? And is VDR able handle all of them and in which configuration.

I am sorry for so many questions (some of them may sound a stupid
questions but please forgive me as I am new in this area) and my knowleage
is limited.

Could you recommend a good website which could provide most complete
information about SatTV.

Thank you for any help,

Andrey