Von: vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org] Im Auftrag
von Reinhard Walter Buchner
Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Juli 2003 17:39
An: vdr@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [vdr] Re: AW: Re: OT: reset DVD drive "LG D8120B" region code,
how?

Hi Klaus,

> What I don't quite understand is: how can the _DVD_ ask the drive
anything?
> IMHO only the software (libdvdnav?) that reads data from the DVD can
interpret

Well the DVD reports a region code as soon as it is inserted into the
drive. The drive then checks if it has the same code. If so all is well
and the
*drive*
(not the software!) plays the DVD. The RCE DVD is just a little bit more
sneaky as it does this checkup twice (I believe it also addresses a
different ROM area in the DVD drive to make this second check). If the
second test (pure comparison of region on the DVD vs region in the
drive) fails, even if the first call was sucessfull, the drive stops
playing. This checking is *NOT* part of the player software, but rather
of the *drive* firmware. You cannot force a region locked drive to play
a non matching region, because the firmware locks the drive hardware
;o(( That's what hacked firmwares are for ;o))

> Please forgive me if this is a stupid question - I haven't done much
> with
DVDs
> so far...

There is no such thing a stupid question ;o)) This is done (and must be
inserted into the drives FW by the manufacturer) to prevent you from
watching a film which already has reached DVD marketing level in USA,
whereas in good old Germany, it hasn't even reached the movie theater
;o))

Good FW hacks simply take the reported region and makes this to the
drives region. That way the DVD can ask as many times as it wants and it
will
*always*
get back the info it is the correct region. Your hacked firmware
probably reports back region zero, which means it can play any DVD.
However, this doesn't work for RCE DVDs as they want the *specific*
region code (and not NULL). That's why they invented the RCE encoding
(and that's why hackers invented the region correction hack ;o)))

Greetz,
Reinhard

as subject.