[vdr] Re: VDR and 2.6.0-test1?

Am Don, 2003-07-24 um 20.16 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> Steffen Barszus wrote:
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2003 19:17 schrieben Sie:

> > > I'm not sure what you mean here. Since the API is the same, what should VDR
> > > have to worry about which driver version you use?
> > >
> > > Klaus
> >
> > Well as vdr relies anyway on DVB API 3 it would be usefull to add the headers
> > to the vdr package. This way I would not need to add DVB/ tree in parallel to
> > vdr source. As there is no real need for the way now as far as i have
> > understood, it would make things cleaner IMHO. This way f.e. building RPMs
> > would be easier (a bit at least).
>
> I don't think it is a good idea if an application contains the header
> files of a driver or any other library module.

I'm not talking of headers, etc. A program should include all the
necessary code itself to be compiled against an API. Any change of the
driver code could break compiling of the program. If no other way it
would be an alternative to compile against hernel-headers as they
shouldn't change much, but I don't like software with such a lot
dependencies. Have you never been driven crazy as you had to install 13
proggies and libraries to get a 50 kbyte code running?

My suggestion is to move the necessary code of the drivers to compile
VDR into VDR and incorporate it in the next structural changes.

> Having DVB in parallel to VDR is just a suggestion (it's the way I have it).
> You can simply change the line
>
> DVBDIR   = ../DVB
>
> in your Make.config file to change this.

By the way - what about updating VDR and Makefiles to handle the path
for the plugin-libraries. VDR should look for plugins in the default
library-path of the distribution and Makefiles should install/remove
libraries into/from the default library-path of the distribution.

Can anyone tell me which environment variable is used to describe the
path to the libraries?

--
Rene Bartsch
Faculties MNI