[vdr] Re: VDR and 2.6.0-test1?

Hello Klaus,

@Klaus Schmidinger: I don't think DVB-driver will be developed further
more after kernel 2.6 has become public. There are one year old patches
in DVB-kernel which never made it into DVB-driver.

Which I really consider a pitty!
If these patches are crucial to the dvb subsystem, then somebody should dig them out and repost them on the DVB mailing list.

I believe I have incorporated every change I made in the DVB driver
into the corresponding place in the dvb-kernel driver, too - even
though I don't use the dvb-kernel version myself. Since the DVB driver
still _is_ widely used (and certainly will be for quite a while!) I
would expect the same in the opposite direction from other developers...
I can only speak for myself: I'm using vdr with "dvb-kernel" and 2.4.21 for a few months now, 2.6.0-test1-bk2 works, too, but I did not test it with "vdr". But I'm not a "heavy" vdr user...

I think when 2.6 is out, the "DVB" driver will be marked obsolete. It can still be used for stable 2.4 systems. Improvements to the av7110 driver and the v3 DVB-API will go to both trees, if the authors prepare the corresponding patches. So don't worry here.

DVB-kernel has a
complete new layout (especially SAA7146 subsystem). So it's time to add
the driver dependent sources to VDR to get it compiling stand-alone
without driver-sources.
Sorry, that's not true completely. Yes, saa7146 subsystem has changed, but this does not affect vdr, only the video backends (xawtv, kvdr). But no, the dvb-core is exactly the same as in DVB, and the av7110 has only been changed slightly.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Since the API is the same, what should VDR
have to worry about which driver version you use?
Exactly.

Klaus
CU
Michael.