[vdr] Re: migration to 1.2.2

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  11.08.03 09:58
>
> Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >> The channel ID is "Uniq", specifies exactly one channel.
> >> If that channel is listed ten times in channels.conf:
> >> It's still the one and same channel, or?
>
> >So then why is it listed ten times??
>
> Because i grouped then thematical? :-)
>
> I have one group with all "v", another with "h" channels.
> Then i have a group with all "news" channels.
> Another group are all english channels.
>
> That easily caused CNN to occure 3 times...
> Why should that be superflous?
>
> I found it very convienient.
> So i can zapp fast between all news channels
> or stay in english channels.
>
> >Just throw out the superfluous 9 entries and be happy!
>
> I found that grouping very usefull, and i am not happy now ;-)

Well, then set the RID to some different value for each of these channels
and you'll be fine!

> [Example based on the fact the the user made the error
> to change channels but forget to back annotate timer.conf snipped]
>
> It does not help me understanding which technical reason
> forces VDR ignore the entire channels.conf and stop working
> and can't simply ignore the dupes.

In the next version I'll make VDR refuse to start in the first place
if channels.conf is faulty (as per your suggestion).

> Nothing bad (like all records deleting) will happen,
> maybe one timer would record teh wrong program.

Yea, right - and I can pretty much imagine _your_ comments if _that_ happens ;-)

> If VDR would really care so much about users faults it would
> stop recording if it realized that the users programmed conficting
> timers.

Oh, so we're changing the subject now?!

> But VDR gracefully ignores such overlappings, causing
> incomplete recordings. It would be nice if VDR
> would issue a warning that the resource is locked due to timer xx.
> (Ideally at the beginning of the recorded fragment
> "record start delayed by 7:46 min due to resource conflict",
> not only in /var/&log/messages).
> Else the user only sess that he missed sometimes(!) the beginning
> but may think thathe did not program the right start time or
> the program has a new starting time.

Jürgen Schmitz has written a plugin that detects such conflicts,
and I'm pretty sure VDR will offer such a service as part of the "Timers"
menu in a future version. Please understand that I implement basic
functionality first (which works just fine if you enter correct
data) and will tend to the "fineprint" later.

Klaus