[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

Guido Fiala <gfiala@s.netic.de> wrote:

> Just about small files? I thought the efficiency ( that is the number
> of useful data r/w from disk to/from memory in a block) is much higher
> for reiserfs - ok, one would say (caching) memory is cheap, but
> disk-bandwith is'nt... (i noticed that kde is almost twices as fast

FWIHH, one of the strength of reiserfs is, that it is "fscking ;-)" fast
on small files compared to other fs. on the other side xfs is claimed to
outperform the others on very big files. so regarding to vdr, i would
prefer xfs anyway.

> The most interesting things for xfs would be the bandwidth reservation
> feature - that way vdr would be guaranteed to have the necessary
> bandwidth for it's recordings going on, if no reserve is left it would
> not start another thread - will/does that work?

IIRC, bandwidth reservation is not implemented on linux yet. but i could
be wrong.

clemens