[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

"Tilo Renkl" <tilo@diredare.de> wrote:

> > > I doubt that broad asseration. If you try to play
> > > divx 3.11 ("almost" mpeg-4 and thats a mpeg stream,
> > > isn't it?) this has to be recoded to mpeg-2 for the
> > > dvb output. And the dvb output is quite picky about
> > > the format of the pictures, so recoding to a format
> > > the dvb card supports, is required, too.
> >
> > When one talks about MPEG in conjunction with VDR/DVB it is always
> > assumed to be MPEG1 or 2.
> > AFAIK MPEG4 has not much in common with MPEG1/2 - it's just a name.
> >
> > So:
> > MPlayer does not reencode MPEG1/2 if playing via DVB.
> > MPlayer does reencode when playing anything else via DVB.
> >
> Thanx Juri. That is exactly what I have been trying to say for
> about one week.

of course the dvb card is able to decode proper mpeg[1|2] streams and of
course mplayer does not need to do any reencoding when playing dvds over
dvb in the first place. but in this case we do not gain much from using
mplayer over the dvd plugin. maybe it does handle dvd navigation in a
little bit more stable manner, but it can not work around the dvbs
limited hardware mpeg decoder. to really improve dvd playback over dvb,
the mpeg stream has to be fixed. (maybe remuxed, to reduce audio/video
delay or reencoded. dunno.) as andreas already pointed out, that this is
not possible on low end cpus. IF mplayer is really that superior on
playing dvds over dvb, then the dvd plugin could also be improved in
that direction. it is just a matter of finding somebody, who can do it.

clemens