[vdr] Re: Possible enhancements to vdr

Am Sonntag, 31. August 2003 13:20 schrieben Sie:
> hmpf, sorry, but IMHO this is bullshit. there is no such thing as a
> patented algorithm in europe, yet. you may have missed the ongoing
> protests to prevent introduction of logic patents into european laws, in
> the last couple of months. anyway, nothing can stop us from reverse
> engineering the showview algo and implement it into vdr and this has
> exactly nothing to do with the GPL.
>
> notice, this does not mean, that this is a simple task or even worth the
> pain. and of course IANAL!
You are right. The algo is not be patented...
There is a patent on Showview, but not really on the algorithm and yes, I am
aware of the ongoing protest against softwarepatents.

I wasn't clear in what I meant (sorry, english is not my native language).
What I meant was: if you pay the fee to get the whole algo, you are bound
to nondiscloser agreement, and than that part of VDR would be nomore GPL,
so including the "real" Showview is sure not what we all want.
If you reverse-engenieer the algo, you are done and can do whatever you want
with the code.

If anyone wants some info (sorry, in german!) than
http://www.isis.de/members/~fichtner/ShowView/  and
http://www.zelczak.com/showview.htm
might be a nice start.

Anyway, I think Showview is not worth all the trouble (see all the other
postings, too)

Frank