[vdr] Re: VDR-(S)VCD's that are NTSC

Michael Reinelt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've got a problem here with VDR-1.2.6 and the svcd-plugin: Some of my
> SVCD's seem to be NTSC-coded. I get only black/white picture, and the
> screen seems a bit distorted.
>
> Some time ago someone told me that there are sveral solutions:

> - use mplayer.sh: apart from the fact that I've got an EMIA M6000 which
> has a quite slow CPU, I couln'd get mplayer to do any conversion to PAL.

What kind of mplayer.sh do you use? If it's the one I maintain (current
version 0.8.4) then it should work (somehow) if you set NTSC=false in
mplayer.sh.conf. But be aware that this will not provide a satisfactory
solution, as either the sound will be to slow or the picture and/or sound
will be jerkey (depending on USE_SOUND) - but see below.

> - is there another possible solution?

I received two proposals to solve the above problem.
Both seem to be promising:
One uses a modified set of mplayer parameters (and an adapted
mplayer.sh), but it my testings it had difficulties with at least one
NTSC-file.
The other one uses a patch to mplayer itself (and an adapted mplayer.sh
as well). I haven't tested this one yet.

I plan to do testings and modifications to the mplayer.sh next weekend.
I also plan to publish one or two test releases with those changes (and
the mplayer patch).

Thanks to Martin Hoffmann for the first and Patrick Cernko for the second
proposal.

Cheers,
Juri