[vdr] Re: Update on UPT error

Hi Tilo,

Tilo Renkl wrote on Tue, Dec 30 2003:

>This bug was introduced with a change in 1.1.27 - 1.1.28.
>Klaus said he cant do anything because on his system that error
>never occured.

Yes, Klaus cannot do a thing about it, if it does not happen on his
own system.

>I think this error only occurs on systems with only full-
>featured cards.

This is true here: only one Nexus-s card in a Hermes MSI 651 barebone
(same system Klaus uses).

>On my system I use a skript witch restarts VDR
>ererytime that error message appears in the syslog.

Someone kind posted a simple patch a few days ago, I acted accordingly
and changed remux.c this way (added the line "emergency" and the
braced brackets):

       if (pt < I_FRAME || B_FRAME < pt) {
          esyslog("ERROR: unknown picture type '%d'", pt);
          cThread::EmergencyExit(true);
       }

This causes VDR to initiate the emergency exit and if you use the
functionality of the originial "runvdr" script, VDR will restart.

I had also a "watchdog" script running, which checked /var/log/syslog
for UPTs, the above solution is IMHO better and "cleaner".

>In my system that error ONLY occured when the first recording was
>started, never when one card was allready recording and a second
>timer kicked in.

Same here, the first timer after some hours of inactivity caused the
UPT, but from that point in time the UPT persisted rendering the whole
(first) timer-recording worthless. Following timer-events were fine. I
only have one FF-card.

>So I only loose some secods at the beginnig of a recording.

Same here: the emergency exit kicks in, VDR restarts, timer also
restarts and the recording is fine, only a few seconds at the
beginning are lost (and some more seconds due to the reset). No
problem whatsoever, because my timers start a few minutes before the
actual event anyway.

I can happily live with this workaround, haven't lost any more
recordings due to the UPT since then. Also tried several versions of
DVB drivers, did not seem to make any difference, I'm now back to the
"official" 2003-11-08 which Klaus himself uses for VDR 1.2.6.

Kind regards   Frederick