[vdr] Re: Softdevice + EPIA-M / Sound resampling

Colin Paton wrote:

Playing back with sound + MPEG decoding but no video display (but call to
'Flip') = ~17% CPU
Playing back with blit added (get video display) = ~78% CPU
Playing back with FB sync but no blit = ~46% CPU
Playing back with blit + FB sync = ~98% CPU

Without sync and blit audio sounds OK.

My next task is to try and track down why sync and blit are using lots of
CPU. I suspect there's a busy loop in there somewhere.

Sounds likely.

I figured it would probably be suitable just to be simple and drop or add a
frame in order to maintain sync between the broadcast timestamps and the
video clock. I go with the assumption that the difference between the two
shouldn't be too much, therefore the odd frame slip won't be noticeable.
Obviously setting the clock exactly is the correct way to do it - but I
suspect would be quite involved, especially as I don't have datasheets for
the chip.

With most framebuffer devices you could set the videomode (not vesafb) through ioctls so with viafb I think this could be done. Maybe there
is a wrapper in DirectFB to do this too.
BTW, what is the vertical frequency of the mode you're using when testing? If it's not matched as close as possible to the frame rate in the stream
you would defenately run in to trouble with the VBL syncing.

Regards

Henrik