[vdr] numbering of channels?

Since I have edited a channels.conf the numbering of the channels is lost, each channel is displayed as "0". This means, I cannot use the UP/Down buttons on the remote, changing of channels is only achieved via the channels list in the menu.
I have compared the old and the new channels.conf and I can not find any significant difference. I thought, vdr counts the lines to generate the channel numbers. I edited the list on a winXP-machine, but told the editor to use unix-type carriage returns.
Can anybody help me to solve this problem?

Thanks, Richard

PS. I run VDR 1.2.2 (c't, out of the box + vdrconvert)
--
Richard Müller - Am Spring 9 - D-58802 Balve
r.mueller@oeko-sorpe.de - www.oeko-sorpe.de