[vdr] Re: [ACPI] high pitch noise with kernel 2.6 and ACPI (Dell Inspiron 8200)

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 21:49, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Maybe this is caused by the CPU being put into an idle mode (C-State). If
> the HD is active, bm_activity [*] will be high and C3 will be disabled for
> this time, so you won't hear the noise then. The difference between 2.4.
> and 2.6. is the different HZ value -- in 2.4., the sound was of ~100Hz
> frequency, now it's 1kHz...
>
> 	Dominik
>
> [*] you can see that in /proc/acpi/processor/*/power

hm. that may explain a lot. But what can I do about this? Can I just set back
the value to 100 Hz as in 2.4 or is there a good reason why it is now 2.6?
Is there any other thing I can do? This sound really sucks. The first time
ever sth. sucks in Linux :-(

Thomas