[vdr] Re: [Announce] Teletext Subtitles - ttxtsubs plugin0.0.5pre1

--On den 1 mars 2004 20:10 +0100 ST <sestegra@free.fr> wrote:

Nice improvement in configuration especially for exotic French
configuration.

:-) Well, there must be some silly mistake somewhere in the
history which makes them do this. Now there must be special
firmware in all decoders to handle this. But the longer they
wait to fix it, the more carved in silicon it will get, I
guess they won't be able to get decoder firmware updates forever.
Maybe there is no incentive to fix it since now people maybe have
to buy their special decoders and maybe they by some reason prefer
that (I don't know how this works).

Some channels actually sends the same page number as
Hearing Impaired information but encoded the standard way, so
that selecting HI subtitles on a standard decoder would also
give you correct subtitles (should work with ttxtsubs too).

ttxtsubs now only remaps page numbers between n50..n59 into
n80..n89 to not harm other channels which send it correctly.
I hope this works, if not let me know!

I have a proposal to your plugin for developer version
(i.e: VDR 1.3.5) :-)
Use of internal VDR implementation to obtain teletext PID to increase
performance during zapping : PAT and PMT scanning are automatically
performed  and PIDs are updated if they changed.
Yes, that is the plan, and actually why I haven't put more
effort in the SI scanner (one could break it out into a separate
thread, for example). I haven't yet switched to the 1.3 train
myself though. :-)
Since a few versions back it caches SI information for as long
as the VDR process lifetime, but I recently found out that it
doesn't negative cache on channels that is completely missing
teletext, so on those channels it will retry reading the SI
every time. That is not yet fixed.

On my DVB-T channels the extra time to scan the SI is between
0.1 and 0.2 seconds, it is noticable, but not much more, at
least that is what I think.
I suppose the SI is sent slower on other systems, since some
people out there seem to notice the delay quite quickly.
If not, they must be very sensitive (or maybe should zap less. :-)

/ragge