[vdr] Re: final solution to the signalless operation problemfound!! -> testers+RFC required

Andreas Oberritter wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 19:46, Guido Fiala wrote:
> > Am Wednesday 24 March 2004 15:17 schrieb Andreas Oberritter:
> > > The only remaining problem is that the VES is in an undefined state
> > > after insmod. So how about this patch instead?
> >
> > You _should_ be right - unfortunately my test showed, that the ARM crashes
> > instantly if using your patch instead of calling ioctl(FE_SLEEP) in vdr just
> > after opening the frontend (this way my ARM run now 24hours without any
> > outcommand error or reset or crash - it's rock-solid!).
>
> Yes, of course. My patch addressed the undefined state before opening
> the device. VDR must not open the device if it should stay powered down.
> open() calls FE_INIT and therefore wakes up the VES1893.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

I don't see why VDR should be the culprit here.
What's wrong with opening the frontend and not actually using it?
Shouldn't the driver (or whoever is responsible) be stable enough
to handle this?

Of course we can add an option that makes VDR not open the frontend
in case the user knows that there is no antenna cable connected - but
that still leaves the case where the signal gets lost for other reasons.
And then what happens if the user forgets to set that option?

After all, your computer doesn't crash just because a program opens
a file and then doesn't read from it... ;-)

Klaus