[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sharemarks Project 0.1

Peter Sebbel <peter@vdr-portal.de> wrote:

> > i think the most important thing to get to this point is to
> > integrate the mark sharing flawlessly into vdr (via plugin).
>
> Well, I can not really see the advantage of a plugin in this case. I
> agree that it should be tightly integrated, but the VDR offers nice
> hooks for this kind of add-on.

it is not only the usability that counts, but also how easy it is to
install and configure. if it can be done as good as with a plugin, ok.

> > when i start cutting
> > a movie it should try to get the marks from the server (or it should
> > allready have read them) transparently.
>
> You can automate the download via a cronjob or something, we are
> currently discussing this for release 0.2 (also an offline solution).

that is another dependency. many people run theire vdr in an embedded
environment, compact flash, nfsroot a.s.o. - they may have to
change/update their setup, what lets them think twice befor contributing
to the shared marks db.

> > if there are no marks it should
> > say something like "no shared marks, cut manually?" and if i do so
> > upload the marks without further user interaction.
>
> Well, if there are no marks you have to set them manually, no matter
> how you integrate the add-on. Just press "ok" after selecting a
> recording, and you know whether you got marks.
>
> After cutting the marks are stored on the server without any user
> interaction (if you configure the skript to act like that). So that is
> pretty close to your suggestion.

ok, fine.

> > another drawback of the current solution is the perl dependency -
> > for me this is a real showstopper. :(

> Sorry about this, but since Perl is the only language I know, it is
> likely to be Perl.

time to learn a real programing language! ;-) SCNR

anyway. from my experience, the less dependent from libs/interpreters a
program is the more likly it will get installed and tested. this is even
more important for projects in an early devel stage. but maybe i'm
just paranoid and everybody has perl, LWP::Simple, cron, ... on his vdr
anyway.

in a few weeks, when hundred people are allready using your solution and
it has matured to a "must have", i may even take the time and install
all components. :o)

good luck & best regards ...
clemens