[vdr] AC3 audio handling

Hello

I'd like some explanation how AC3 audio is handled in VDR.

If I understand things correctly a DVB channel can transmit audio tracks as MPEG
or AC3 streams where the MPEG stream is found using the APID and the AC3 stream
using the DPID. When recording a channel with both an APID and a DPID defined in
the channels.conf , both audio tracks are recorded. When replaying the recording
the MPEG stream is decoded by the DVB card and therefore available at the analog
audio output of the card. The AC3 stream is not handled directly by vanilla VDR
but needs the AC3overDVB patch (plugin?).

Is this how things work ?

Is there any possibility to have an "on the fly" conversion (downmix) for the
AC3 audio to mpeg audio ?

I would like to watch recordings with only AC3 audio tracks without DD
equipment. These "recordings" are vob files ripped from a DVD and copied into a
VDR recordings folder.

Any ideas if this is possible ?

Thanks,
--