[vdr] Re: easy Time-Shifting

> > > While this does work .. there is still a copy of the show in the
> > reocordings
> > > list which if used repeatedly would clutter up your recordings list to
> the
> > > point where it was not useable even if you were using folders.
> > >
> > > Also, I think you would benefit more from timeshifting if it
> was always
> > > active .. that way you would be able to rewind and reveiw any
> scene you
> > are
> > > interested in seeing again .. haven't you ever wished you
> were recording
> > > something while you were watching it cause of something unexpected
> > > happening? I seem to always think of activating timeshifting
> after that
> > > something happened.
> > >

> as being user of vdr from very early verisions (0.6x) i have seen
> this wish
> so many time now. i suggested having a record only feature in RAM several
> times.
>
> the benefit: no wear of the harddisk, no additional power consumption
>
> depending on the ram in your pc vdr does record into ram all the
> time using
> a "fifo mode". so when ram is full, the first seconds of recording are
> thrown away and filled with new data.

This is happening now in current versions? If so wonder why its not directly
accessable by for example hiting rewind.
I think ram is a great idea .. hell my mobo will take 2 gb thats almost 2
full hours of buffer !

> in case one wants to rewind or pause because he has seen/missed
> something of
> interest, he presse menu -> pause (as now already) and a harddisk based
> recording starts, being first filled with all data that is located in the
> ram (belonging to the actual broadcast of course). after the show
> has ended,
> the user manually stops the recording (or waits till the given limit of 3
> hours ends), and is then asked if he wants to keep the recording.

Imho this is the problem .. no need to start a hd base recording unless the
record button is actually used .. pause is just that a pause . i don't
understand why hitting pause would create a recording. If thats the case why
not just hit record.

> that's all ....
>
> unfortunately this idea never found it's way to vdr :( maybe sometime
> someone can make a patch against vdr. i can't :(

Nor can I. I wish i could and I am takeing steps one day be able to .. but i
fear this may take years and well i'd like to enjoy these options now :)

---