[vdr] Re: Black Border on BBC TV sport transmissions

Hi,

> anyone else watching the European Football on BBC via sat?
> Even the Wimbledon transmissions have the same effect.
> I have the strange effect that there is a black border around the screen.
> I checked the properties and according to projectX they are sending;
>
> -> video basics: 720*576 @ 25fps @ 0.7031 (16:9) @ 15000000bps,
>
> So it really looks as if they are sending a black border. I tried 4*3 and
> 16*9 seettings in VDR and that just screws up the proportions.
>
> Is this normal for BBC Sport?

Yup, normal for the BBC at any rate! The studio pundits are filmed at
16:9 and the feed from Portugal is at 4:3, since they don't like to change
the aspect ratio during a programme they send out the match bordered.

Be grateful you cann't get ITV - they have lovely coloured pattern bars
down the side instead!

I'm not sure how it's handled on DVB-T though. Since I can't display off
screen using ivtv I don't interpret the AFD flags - are they sending them
down so STBs can do a punchout?

cheers,

d.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index