[vdr] VDR 'hangs' at startup

Hello,

after a fresh reinstallation of a diskless Gentoo linux, my VDR has some
problems right after startup.
VDR is started via a runvdr process (via /etc/inittab). Then VDR starts fine,
no errors are reported, but I cannot control VDR, neither via LIRC nor KBD.
After waiting for approx. 1 minute, VDR restarts itself (w/o driver reload)
and then reacts to all the previously entered RemoteControl events (seems
like they're bufferd somehow). Then VDR seems to run and respond properly. So
far so good, but then again, after hm. maybe 10-15 minutes, VDR once again
restarts itself (this time with a driver reload) , then it hangs again for a
minute, and then it works again for this 10-15 minutes.
This behaviour is reproduceable every time I start VDR. even 'by hand' with
plain vdr command.
I am using the latest dev. version 1.3.12 and the DVB driver of 11.2003 (same
one as Klaus is suggesting). patched with AC3oDVB.
Also tried 1.3.10, same behavior.
My system is a minimal, nfsrooted Gentoo linux running on an Epia-M 6000
board, ff rev. 1.6 DVBs.

there are no hints in syslog if i remember correctly, and VDRs stdout also
doesn't provide much information. All I remember now (i am currently not at
home, so no acces to my VDR's logs) is that it said sth like resetting
watchdog timer to 50 s (as specified with -w 50) . this message appears after
the inital hang after which everything runs fine.  I don't know the message
when it completely restarts (after 15 mins).
I may provide you the full logs the next weekend if needed.

I hope you can give me a hint!  :)
we pretty much rely on a working VDR, as we don't have a standalone STB.
(Everything had worked just fine, until my server's hdd crashed.... :(  but
thats another story..)

greetings,

Thomas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index