[vdr] Re: choosing a FF card

spyro@f2s.com(Ian Molton)  10.02.05 00:45

>Rainer Zocholl wrote:

>> Your question was quoted away, so i assume your problem is,
>> that you want to convert Hiresolution VGA to High Quality TV(RGB)?

>pretty much, yes...

Ah, ok. Not wasted all neu- and elektrons ;-)

>> There are much cheaper devices with quite good quality
>> for approx. 80/100 Euro, for example by "Trust" called "TeleViewer
>> V2".
<cut>>
>> Those devices are intended for "presentations" so the Signal
>> Quality is quite good. (Don't be irretated by the funny,
>> unprofessinal looking mouse like cases "Trust" uses. The internal
>> technique is OK ;-)).

>Well, my first thought is that it doesnt look like the device can
>handle field sync,

What's "field sync"?
"The insertion points of the field sync (once every 312 MPEG packets)"
?

Ack, I don't think it can do that.
That would require a DVI input IMHO.

>and it also doesnt appear to actually support
>native PAL resolution.

Yes. IMHO "native" PAL is "768x576" resized to 525 lines.

>what Im really after is a video output that is
>full frame PAL format (768x576)

I think it can do that.
I have such a box somewhere "flying" arround (and can't find it.
Maybe someone "lent" it...)

>and supports field sync, such that the video player (xine,
>mplayer, whatever) can use that to display the correct frame for an
>interlaced source.

>I guess my problem space is that I want to be able to display

>interlaced source  -> interlaced output
>progressive source -> interlaced output

I know that the devices have a dedicated chip wiht many many pins
in side.
I noted the type somewhere...

>but I want at the same time to not need much CPU grunt.

>the tricky one is the progressive source which would need to somehow
>be re-interlaced - god knows how thats done.

You need an image RAM...that's on the analog VGA card.
I don't think that the box has storage for more than 2..4 scan lines.

>but I'd be happy with merely the interlaced source being displayed
>without losing half the vertical resolution...

That can the box do.
The image was OK. I used the box when the VDR box(hardware)
did not run...
Instead of carring a heavy VGA-Monitor to the living room, i simply
connected that tiny little box to the TV and the VGA-card.
If there would be only the odd lines i'm sure i would have noticed
that 25Hz flickering and lost of resolution in the BIOS-Screen.

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index