[linux-dvb] Patch management (was: dvb-kernel CVS and 2.6.12-r1)

Kenneth Aafløy lists at kenneth.aafloy.net
Wed Mar 23 23:11:59 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 22:53, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 March 2005 21:37, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> > > On Sunday 20 March 2005 18:51, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > > > So maybe it's now time to apply the patch that C.Y.M posted
> > > > to the list a while ago? Or should we wait for 2.6.12?
> > > 
> > > I'm thinking waiting for your downstream sync of the dvb-kernel tree should
> > > be in before changes made in it are synced back, make sense?
> > 
> > Just to be clear here, I'm talking about mainline, not Andrew's mm tree.
> IMHO the question is if CVS should work with the latest -rc or with
> the latest "stable" kernel. We might get more testers for the stuff in
> CVS if it applies to stable, but it is unconvenient for developers...

Well, I'll post patches for review by anyone who cares before committing,
at least for 'big cleanup patches'.
For now I'm planning to extend on the patch I have presented for the mt352
frontend to another very intergrated change (error handling) for which
I will provide a patch for in the next few days.
It also have fixes for a bug introduced in the last mt352 patch,
which I would like to blame on the previous writereg style handling.

> I vote to merge it now and require 2.6.12-r1 for CVS.

I have all my cards plugged into my server, which is also the internet
gateway. And I don't feel comfortable (at least not all the time) to
install the latest and greatest test (release) kernel. Although I should
mention that I also have another test computer with a single card in it,
where I try out the budget-av driver (not connected to dish though).

I'm wondering tho, should we enforce a particular kernel version in dvb-kernel
cvs, or should it be targeted at a specific 'window' of kernel releases?

> > > I'm wondering tho, can large cleanups that risc the driver stability be
> > > committed now, since the test-time in the dvb-kernel tree will be maximized
> > > before the next sync downstream?
> Yes. Do you care to tell us what you want to do before comitting?

I would like to do similar cleanup to the patch to mt352 that has been
presented here earlier (and also with the changes I have made to now).
Since you ask I have provided my current working patch for the mt352,
please note that this has only gone through parts of my check list!

> BTW, I've submitted everything upstream except the flexcop rewrite (too big,
> too new) and the dvb_register_adapter() API change (Gerd Knorr's
> drivers need to follow that change; I have an untested patch for it).
> It should appear in 2.6.12-rc1-mm2 and/or 2.6.12-rc2.
> Other stuff will not go in before 2.6.12, except small, important fixes.


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: mt352.patch
Type: text/x-diff
Size: 29580 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20050323/33f5e518/mt352.bin

More information about the linux-dvb mailing list