[linux-dvb] Value too large for defined data type

Jon Fairbairn jonf.dvb at mailnull.com
Thu May 5 22:55:11 CEST 2005

This is an error that occurs infrequently (only twice in the
last couple of months of recording an average of an hour or
so per night), but it's very annoying when it does.

Using tzap -r and cat, cat dies with:

cat: /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0: Value too large for defined data type

I first saw this error when using a cvs version of tzap with
built-in file writing abilities, so I thought it must be a
problem with that, and reverted to using release 1.1.0 of the
dvb-apps with cat, but it happened again, so I must just
have been unlucky when trying the newer tzap, and the
problem lies elsewhere.

Anyhow, I have a Hauppauge Nova-T model 900 (eeprom=90002,
tuner 76) and I'm running kernel 2.6.12-rc3 with the
appropriate patches from bytesex, plus
realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc3-V0.7.46-02, though the first
time it happened was probably with an earlier kernel.

Any suggestions?

 Jón

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk