[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 API vs. HVR4000: When?

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:46:23 CET 2007

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Hi Manu,
> three weeks have passed since Steve expressed his
> discomfort with the HVR4000 merge being blocked
> waiting for multiproto.

Before i state anything, Current DVB-S2 API status:

* CCM (Complete)

* API backward compatibility (Complete, guess it is fine now)
  (I would prefer if Oliver can take a look at it, or maybe you can 
   look at it as well, if you don't think it is a dead horse ;-)  )

* Search Algo status update to the event list 
   (almost there, most probably by tomorrow this will be done)

* Backward Compatible Modes (TODO, including Multiple Logical Streams)

* There are different Error types, not just BER alone. Additionally the S2 
   demod can tell the user whether a demodulation failed (TODO) so that 
   the user gets direct information from the device that a demodulation 
   failed, rather than the user guessing.


* ACM (Not in current scope)

There was a thread on Backward Compatible modes:

Didn't get a reply from Francesco after that.
Since the scenario is not very clear, i had requested STM to lend a hand, the reply was thus:


Our software engineer in on vacation right now.  Then I a travelling next
week.  Can you re-contact me on this issue in 2wks time (from 29th onwards).

> Can you give us a time frame for when the multiproto
> merge will happen?
> Or, alternatively, can we split multiproto into
> two repositories, one with API + dvb-core changes
> and one (on top of it) with the STB0899 driver?

It can be either way, which one of the following do you think is better in your view ?

(1) DVB-S2 API partly merged now and the rest of the S2 API later.
(2) Complete event list update and VCM and merge that also alongwith.

in either case it can be with or without the STB0899 driver.

What do you think ?


More information about the linux-dvb mailing list