[linux-dvb] [Fwd: Help with recent DVB/QAM problem please.]

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Aug 11 21:43:46 CEST 2008

Michael Krufky wrote:
> 2008/8/11 Mark Paulus <mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com>:
>> Redirecting to linux-dvb on suggestion from
>> Video4Linux user.
>> -------- Original Message --------
>> Subject: Help with recent DVB/QAM problem please.
>> Hi all,
>> Background:
>> I have a machine in my basement with:
>> Hauppauge PVR-150 (connected to DCT2524)
>> Air2PC ATSC/OTA card (connected to antenna in attic)
>> Avermedia A180 (connected to comcast cable)
>> Dvico FusionHDTV RT 5 Lite (connectec comcast cable)
>> Debian using 2.6.24-x64 kernel
>> Situation:
>> Up until a week ago, I was able to use azap to tune in
>> a bunch of mplexids, and get good locks on both the A180 and the Dvico card.
>>  However, starting on Monday,
>> I am not able to get locks on either of my DVB cards.
>> I have been able, and am still able to get good locks
>> on my air2pc OTA card.
>> Can anyone help me figure out why I can't seem to see
>> anything from my 2 QAM cards?  I've tried running a
>> dvbscan and neither card can make a good lock.  What
>> other debugging tools can I use to try to find any QAM
>> signals?  I've also tried doing a VSB-8 scan on the cable
>> cards, and also don't get any locks.
> Mark,
> It's good that you've moved the thread to the correct mailing list.
> However, I did already answer you and asked you some questions, to
> which you have not yet responded....
> Quoting myself:
> What variables have changed in your test environment since last Monday?
> If the answer is "nothing" , then the problem is more than likely due
> to your cable company moving services around.
> First, you should confirm that you still have clear QAM available...
> assuming yes, then I recommend scanning for channels again, using each card.
> Regards,
> Mike

As far as I know, no variables have changed.  The only thing that might
have been of note is that there seemed to have been a wierd 
Power Blip, and my linux machine was off when I was not expecting it.
After turning it on, I noticed the problem.  However, it seems wierd
to me that a power blip would blow both QAM cards, and yet leave the 
ATSC and the PVR-150 alone.  (I also have a PVR-150 attached to a 
Motorola DCT-2524 in that machine).

My biggest problem I have right now is determining if there is even
any clear QAM available.  I did a dtvscan -q from both cards, 
and neither card is able to lock anything.  Before last week, I was
able to get locks on many multiplexes, even those populated 
completely with encrypted PIDs.  (I would do an azap in one window
to lock a multiplex, then I could do a dvbstream in another window, 
and run tsreader on my winxp box to actually look at a stream.  
Encrypted streams would show up as read w/nothing to look at.
Clear streams could be clicked, and would play in VLC, so I could
see what it is.)

I will run another dtvscan to make sure things aren't there, but is
there any other means of determining the state of things QAM?  
Somehow my Motorola DCT-2524 seems to still see channels and
work fine, so if Comcast did change something, then they did
it so that it doesn't affect their STBs.

I suppose my next test when I have some time is to change the 
ATSC feed from my air2PC card to my Avermedia A180 to see if 
the card itself can still see the ATSC signals, and make sure
the tuner didn't get blown.  

Guess I'll also have to swap cables around on my 8 channel amp
(An Electroline FT08100 8 channel active splitter/amp).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: mark_paulus.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard
Size: 308 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080811/8b661470/attachment-0001.vcf 

More information about the linux-dvb mailing list